Both Casey and Brett love to ROCK WALL CLIMBING whenever they get a chance. Even though they are not outside climbing up Mt. Rushmore they love the idea of getting on a harness and climbing up a wall. I, on the other hand, am afraid of heights and do not enjoy it. Which brings me to today. There is a place near us called Outer Limits. The entire building is rock climbing walls. Some of the walls have auto belaying so that you can climb on your own other walls you have to have a partner. Casey and Brett had tickets to take class 101 rock climbing in which you learn how to TIE KNOTS and BELAY with your partner. At the last minute Casey had a scheduled baseball practice and could not make the class. Therefore, I had to take his place. Brett and I learned how to rock climb together. I belayed for Brett while he climbed the wall. All was fine until 70 pound Brett had to belay for me (notice I did not state my weight). I started up the wall and lost my footing when I was only 3 feet in the air. Thank god I was low because Brett could not catch me and I fell right on my butt. It was hysterical. Brett eventually learned how to do it and I climbed up the wall a few times while he practiced belaying. I have to say the practice walls are not high at all so please do not be impressed just yet. When we were good enough to climb on our own we decided that Brett belaying for me while I climbed high was not a good idea. Therefore we decided to use the auto-belaying devices.
Brett is climbing up a boulder wall. It is lower so you do not need to be hooked in however it was by no means easy.
At the top of the boulder
Next he headed up our first wall. I tried to get a view so that you could see how high he really was climbing. The wall ran from the floor to almost the ceiling.
Victory!
Then it was my turn. I am proud to say that I made it 70% of the way before calling it quits. We are planning to go again and I guarantee I will make it to the top. We were told that rock wall climbing can cure your fear of heights. I sure hope so!
Heading back down but still very proud of myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment